Thursday, July 30, 2009

Recording the Ilo Ferreira special


Aloha folks. This afternoon I got to record an incredible in-depth interview with Vic Latham. Some of you may not know who Latham is. He lived quite a life. He was one of the original Key West legends who owned the famed Full Moon Saloon. He had some great stories and was really honest about the drinking and the Key West boogey. He had quite a claim to fame. He said he shared Jimmy Buffett's first joint in New Orleans. His words, not mine! He knew Mr. Buffett from circa 1965 or 1966...the French Quarter days. Boy, did he have some stories.

We began producing the Ilo Ferreira special. Ilo Ferreira is a singer-songwriter and guitarist whom Jimmy Buffett, Chris Blackwell and Tom Freston (the Godfather of MTV) met in Cape Verde off of the West Coast of Africa. They were trying to meet Cesária Évora, who was this week's guest on TAIT. Man, the Ilo special is a long time coming. I am very enthused. We have had some really big cheeses express interest in it, including Chris Blackwell of Island Records...yes, THE Chris Blackwell. The man who brought reggae and Bob Marley to the world. I am really humbled by our little show. I have to say I am proud it is growing so much. There was one person who didn't want this show to happen. I think Ilo will be glad it was produced. What a wonderful fellow. I am proud of him and happy that fate has stepped in and seen him through. Check out his EP "Ilo" on Mailboat Records, it's a hot plate!

I bought a roasted chicken, the entire bird and we ate it in honor of Ilo. Listen in and find out why. We ate the whole chicken.

Jeff and I also spent a long time cataloging all of our past episodes. We are trying to keep better records. We feel like TAIT is a musical artifact, so we are trying to keep the archives accurate and complete. At some point, we hope to archive every episode online to allow you all to listen for free to any show. After all, TAIT is a global entertainment solution for a changing world.

Please let me know what you think. I am very honored to have you as listeners. One Love.

No comments: